As always, remember to wear the "source-critical glasses", even when selecting texts from books for your assignment
The five source-critical evaluation guidelines are:
- Valid books - what are they:
Sender: Who is the sender?
An individual, a professional or academic organization or a company? Does the sender have the necessary professional background?
- Academic level: Is the source relevant to your problem in relation to the academic level? Is it:
- Practical (problem-solving or experience-based)
- Academic (based on recognized theories, uses research-based methods for collecting primary and secondary empirical data)
- Motivation: What is the purpose?
- Knowledge sharing?
- Does the sender want to sell you something that is not necessarily related to the information?
- Is the text supported by sources (references and bibliography)?
- Current information?
- Does the age of the text matter?
It is important that you start with credible and valid texts - browse through our good e-books sites to be inspired.